International Students
Students with student visas obtained through the Registrar’s Office are subject to certain regulations while at the College. They are urged to introduce themselves to the Office of Student Development to ensure that their general concerns, interests, and housing needs are met. Student Development will help facilitate a successful transition to The College of New Rochelle and the community-at-large.

Foreign Transcripts
The transcripts of international students are evaluated in accordance with the educational procedures of the native country. Emphasis is placed on the international student’s facility with the English language. Students whose native language is not English must demonstrate proficiency in English by achieving a minimum score of 550 (or 213 on the computerized exam) on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) which is administered by the Educational Testing Service. English language proficiency may also be demonstrated by achieving a score of 109 on the ESL Language Test. International transfer students must have their credentials evaluated by an independent evaluation agency. The College will advise prospective students of the name and address of the current agency. In addition, international students must submit a Certification of Finances to enable the College to issue an I-20 form.

Financial Information for Students from Other Countries
A certificate of eligibility for a visa (Form I-20 or IAP-66) certifying that the foreign student has sufficient funds to finance at least the first year of study must be issued by the College when a student is accepted for admission. Foreign students are not eligible to receive State or Federal financial aid funds. There is much less institutional financial assistance available to foreign students today than in the past, as decreasing funds from outside sources have made it necessary for the College to reserve most of its aid for students who are citizens of the U.S. Therefore, foreign students should make financial preparations for meeting their entire educational costs before beginning their course of study at CNR.  More opportunities exist for aid before the prospective student leaves her home country than in the U.S.A. Before departure, the student should consult with her own government, the U.S. government, private and/or international agencies and organizations.

Click here for a checklist on required documentation to obtain a Form I-20

Please contact Carmen Rosa, Senior Assistant Registrar and International Student Advisor at 914-654-5543 or